Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I approached a crossroad with two gates....

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14

On Sunday, Bro. Copass preached a message that is very dear to me this week. He talked about being at the crossroads. Five years ago, I was at a crossroad in my life.

You see, I didn't grow up in church. I knew about God and Jesus. I knew the common Bible stories. I remember in high school I found out that a friend of mine had asked her Sunday School class to pray for me. I was furious. There was nothing wrong with me. Or so I thought.

A little more than 5 years ago, my friend Holly and her husband invited Jeffrey and I to the last night of their revival where she would be singing. I had never been to a revival before and had never heard her sing, so I was looking forward to going. Their church was a small country church in Allen County....way out in the middle of nowhere. I can't tell you what the preacher spoke about that night, but I do know that God was talking to me. During the invitation, Holly sang Amazing Grace. It was beautiful. Tears flowed down my face and I wanted so badly to go forward. As I cried, I saw the preacher look at me. I felt so stupid. I told myself that I would be an idiot to go up there. After all, I had never been there before and didn't know those people. So, I didn't. I stood right there in my pew. After the service, Jeffrey asked me why I was crying. I said I didn't know.

After that night, Jeffrey and I started going to church a little more often and finally we were going to Calvary just about every Sunday. It was a great place. My friend/coworker Wanda had told me about their wonderful interim preacher who said he would not stay and then decided that that was where God wanted him. She said we just had to come hear him preach. So, we did and were hooked. Jeffrey had gone there with his family as a child, and we were married there.
Right before Father's Day in 2004, Bro. Copass announced there would be a Baby Dedication. We thought that was what we needed to do for Colin. It was so important to us to raise Colin in church. We never once thought about ourselves.

The week before Father's Day, I tried each day to call Bro. Copass at his office. Each day he was unavailable. That Friday, June 18, 2004, I took Colin to daycare so I could run some errands. With my cell phone in hand, I contemplated calling the office again while on my way to the post office. I literally argued with myself. Part of me said to call because he wouldn't be there anyway while the other part encouraged me to go by the office. It was just a block away.

I passed the post office and headed to Calvary.....in more ways than one!

When I pulled in the parking lot, I saw Bro. Copass's car and knew I was in luck. He would let me know if we could participate in the Baby Dedication with Colin. His secretary showed me to his office and I waited patiently, um nervously for him to come in. I couldn't figure out why I was so nervous.

Bro. Copass and I discussed the Baby Dedication, what it meant, what we would do, and yes, we could participate. Then he asked me if I had ever received Jesus as my personal Savior. When I said, "No," I began crying. What is up with me and this crying every time someone asks that question???? What does he think of me? A mother wanting to dedicate her son to God when she doesn't even have a relationship with Him. But you know, I was done. I was done caring what people were thinking of me.

Bro. Copass walked me through the plan of salvation. There in his office, I admitted that I was a sinner. I confessed my faith in Jesus Christ. the Son of God that died for my sins, and received him into my life as my Savior. I floated out of that office. I had never had such a peaceful feeling in my life. What an amazing time. I got into the car and called Jeffrey at work to tell him what happened. I went to my grandmother's house and told her, my mom, and my cousins who were in visiting. I couldn't figure out why I had waited so long to make that decision.

That Sunday, we dedicated Colin to the Lord. We promised there in our church that we would raise Colin in a Christian home, teaching him about God and the love He has for us. We would be sure that he would attend church to develop his own personal relationship with God. Then during the invitation, I finally came forward. I walked before my church and professed that I had received Jesus as my Savior. My final gift that day....My husband followed me down that aisle. I tapped him on the shoulder so that I could get out of the pew. He said that God pushed him along behind me. There was no stopping him. What a proud moment for our family. We followed through in baptism during another service.

Recently, I sent my friend Amy a note. I apologized for becoming angry with her when she had her Sunday School class pray for me. I admitted that there was something wrong with me at that time, I was not a Christian. I love Amy for praying for me.

You know, people talk about their personal testimony and I am always amazed at how God works in their lives. I am SO AMAZED at how He has worked in mine. I look back to what I was before June 18, 2004. The old me. The one Satan tried to steer clear of Bro. Copass. He knew what God had in store for me that Friday afternoon. But God had the victory!!!!
I am thankful Amy prayed for me.

I am so thankful that God had me and Wanda having the same lunch schedule.

I am thankful that God led Bro. Copass to Calvary Baptist Church.

I am thankful that Bro. Copass announced the Baby Dedication.

I am thankful Bro. Copass was not in his office those days I called.

I am thankful for not turning in to the post office that day.

I am thankful Bro. Copass asked the right question.

I am thankful God touched my heart enough for me to realize which path to take.

I am thankful God did not give up on me that night I walked away from Him at that revival.

I am thankful for what God is doing in my life.

I've been able to lead children to Christ during Vacation Bible School. I've been able to lead my own son to Christ. I am able to minister to people in so many other ways. I never knew the joy of being a Christian until I allowed God to be the center of my life. He's taken my unforgiving spirit and has helped me to open my heart and forgive people who have hurt me. He has shows me the log in my own eye when I acknowledge the speck in the eyes of others. He has provided me with children who keep me grounded and yearning for their faith. He's given me a husband who is my best friend and a wonderful father. A man who provides and cares for our family. A man who serves others before worrying about himself.

God has indeed changed my life. For that, I am truly thankful.

Now, I ask you. Have you allowed God to be at the center of your life? Have your stood at the crossroad and chosen the narrow gate of the straight and narrow path? If you haven't, please don't waste another minute. I can help you do that. The READY? button at the bottom can lead you to that. If you have, will your share your testimony here? Will you share how God has worked in your life?

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

***just added 6-18-09***
I got this in my morning email devotion. Thought it was fitting and wanted to share.

Cause me to hear Your loving kindness in the morning, For in You do I trust;Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You.
Psalms 143:8 *NKJV

As you may know, when we invite God into our life, and ask HIM to take control of our "life and will," we start on the journey to become the person that we were meant to be. For it is written; If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17-18

This is because God begins to reshape us into that person. It is written; O Lord, You are our Father; We arethe clay, and You our potter; And all we are thework of Your hand. Isaiah 64:8

Now as we become that new person, God will lead us to the path that He chosen for us to walk. It is then that we become filled with the Holy Spirit, as well as; The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

So, why not ask God to take control of your "life and will" today, if you haven't already? Also say to Him; Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation. Psalms 25:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope in some way I have blessed you. I look forward to reading your comment. I may not always get the chance to respond, but I do read every comment.